Sunday, February 14, 2016

Heart

Valentines Day.
A corporate designed holiday to benefit the card making companies and chocolate companies to prevent them from diving into extinction.

Having been graduated for nearly five years now, the few people I've stayed in contact with have made me feel more loved than ever, even if I feel like this Squidward GIF sometimes.



Why do people go out on Valentines Day, anyway? I understand that people want to celebrate the ones they love, but why not wait for a week to avoid the crowds? People know that every restaurant in town will be filled with couples wanting to go on a romantic date, too??
There's my rant for now.

Here goes my actual post for today.



Hearts can be liars.
They tell us to feel too deeply, care too much, especially when the person we want to show our hearts to are completely wrong. They tell us to feel secure with someone who doesn't treat it with respect, and they tell us that humanity is trustworthy and that those around us have our best interest, when in all reality, everyone is out for themselves. Selfless motives don't exist. Even being nice for the sake of being nice gives us a warm fuzzy feeling that makes us feel good.
But then there's the other side of hearts.
The part that allows us to love to the fullest extent. The part that tells us to live compassionately to those who need it, and even to those who don't. The part that tells us not to give up on people and that humanity isn't a lost cause.
The part that tells us that it's okay to be vulnerable with those we trust. The part that keeps us human.
When most people think of a heart or love they think of this shape.

<3

Okay, well not exactly like this, I mean usually its balancing on the pointy end, but you get what I'm saying.

You could only make this shape in the real world by putting two real hearts side by side and sticking them together somehow.
Gross. Sorry. Moving on.
I think this is such a lovely metaphor. To feel love, one must put their heart with another person. And no matter how bad things seem to get, humans amazingly pull together, showing their compassion and caring for one another on a new level.
Love itself is immeasurable. I think there's a reason for this.
Pure and beautiful things deserve to be felt, not defined by mathematics or science. Not saying that either of those are bad per se, but I think that calculating just how much you love someone else kind of takes the magic out of it.



The New Testament alone has 96 mentions of the word Love. Among my favorites are:
Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Matthew 19:19 .......Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Matthew 22:37 .......Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten So, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Love transcends this life. The God who lives in heaven is a God of love, who loves each of us individually, the kind of Father in Heaven that I'm glad is on my side. And the best part about it is, to feel his love, we simply have to pray. It doesn't matter where.

I am reminded every year that I am not alone, be it in the mortal sense or the spiritual one.


I doubt all of my posts will be this deep. But who knows. It's only day one after all.
Thanks for reading, I'll be back tomorrow.
And no. I will not apologize for my love of GIFs.

Love, Mackenzie

P.S. Just in case someone reading this didn't receive a valentine today, here's one from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment