Monday, February 15, 2016

Lights

I found a cool opening line on nanowrimo.org, on the Adopt an Opening Line thread and I thought it could make a neat short story. This whole project took about three hours from start to finish. Enjoy!

LIGHTS
By ME


People had forgotten over the years, with all the technology consuming the world and all the neon lights everywhere, that monsters lingered in the dark. It would mean their downfall if the lights went out while they were outside.
There weren't many of us left, only a few colonies scattered across the state. Plants had all but died out. Tree's weren't growing. When you looked outside, it was like a botany graveyard. But the buildings were practically new, outfitted with the best technologies. Average people never put their devices down, so they didn't notice the destruction surrounding them, nor did they seem to hear the screeches outside in the night.
But we did. Myself and my friend Dane were the only two defenders left. He and I were responsible for keeping a strict curfew, which was set strictly at 9 PM, whether the sun had gone completely down or not. We were also responsible with tending the small power plant to make sure the lights stayed lit inside their homes through the night.
We knew the drills, knew the procedures and plans, but we didn’t trust ourselves; not completely anyway. Dane’s uncle was training us before he was caught by the monsters in the night when a bulb burnt out over his head as he patrolled.
That was four months ago. It was September now, and the sun was going down earlier and earlier, putting Dane and I on high alert.
It was 8:45 and we patrolled the streets, making sure there weren’t any stragglers hiding in the alleys or behind buildings. He twirled his baton while we searched.
I peeked behind a trash can. “Nobody there.” I said.
“Good.” He said, putting his stick in his holster. “Now all I think we need to do is check the power plant before heading home.”
We kicked up dust as we walked. His key ring was filled with a key which unlocked every door in town as a safety precaution. The keys clinked against the baton with each step. Dane picked up a small rock and tossed it down the path and I stepped on it as I passed over.
The power plant wasn’t too far from town but not close enough for me to be truly comfortable. Street lamps lined the narrow path to the gates. Lucky for me, though, Dane had a lot of confidence. He’d been helping his uncle out for most of his teenage years so he knew the ropes pretty well.
Dane unlocked the chain link fence and the door swung open, making a clanking sound on the other side.
“Alright, Ward. I want you to take care of the inspection tonight.”
“But,” I said, tripping over my words. “I don’t think I’m ready.”
“Hey, calm down. I trust you, Ward. All you need to do is reach your arm between those boxes and make sure all of the cords are plugged in. There are eight of them.”
I found the outlets he was talking about. My face was smooshed against one of the large power boxes and my fingers were only able to graze the edges of the outlets furthest from the hole. It didn’t help that Dane was a full head taller than me. He definitely had longer arms, too.
“Are they all plugged in?” He asked, picking something out of his teeth.
“Yes.” I said.
“Okay, the only other thing you need to do is make sure all the switches on the panel to your right are in the on position. Here’s the key.” Dane held out the specific one I needed.
I heard a click and I opened the small door. All the switches were up and there was a green light on. Then I locked it and we were on our way.
I shoved my hands into my pockets while he relocked the chain link fence.
“Ward, you need to stop doubting yourself.” Dane said, smiling over at me. “You have good instincts, you just need to listen to them.”
“I just don’t know if I’m really cut out for this job.” I say.
He grabbed my shoulder. “It’ll be alright.” He said, glancing back at the road we had come from. We spotted someone standing there and Dane’s eyes narrowed. “It’s Cox again.”
Not long after we started going back, I realized he was right. Cox stood there, looking around at the scenery.
“It’s 8:58, Cox. Get inside, it’s almost curfew.” I said. Without warning, he punches me right in the jaw.
I taste blood in my teeth and my ears ring loudly.
Dane pushed him back and helped me up from where I fell.
“I’m not going inside!” Cox argued.
“This is the fifth time we’ve caught you outside. Now follow your orders and return to your house!”
“Or what?”
“Or you’ll be arrested.” Dane said.
“By who? You?” Cox laughed. “You’re no better than the dust you stand on! I don’t have to answer to anyone but them.” He took a step toward the dark.
Dane reached over and grabbed Cox by the shirt and threw him to the ground behind us. “Don’t play those games with me!” Dane commanded. “You’re going to get yourself killed!”
“I’ve heard the sounds. It’s like they’re calling me.”
“They aren’t calling you. They want to devour you.”
“No. You’re wrong.” Cox said, his eyes glazing, as though he wasn’t actually looking at Dane.
“Get up.” Dane said flatly.
Cox did as he was told, but his blank, lifeless expression was unchanged.
“I need you to check one more time down this road as well as Briley Road for any stragglers that aren’t indoors, and I’ll take this one to the cell.”
My chest felt as though it tightened.
“Do I have to go alone?”
“I trust you, Ward.” Dane said. “Besides, I’ll only be gone for five minutes. Do you have your flares?”
I nod.
“Then there’s nothing for you to worry about, is there?”
“…Okay.” I agreed.
I watched tentatively while Dane and Cox wandered down the path we had just come from, the one leading to the power box.
Once they were out of view, I did as I was told. I tugged on each door as I passed, and I could hear some sort of electronic device making noise as I went.
I finished making my rounds and I headed back to the narrow path.
There wasn’t a soul on the street, not even Dane.
My heart thudded as I walked slowly down the road.
“Dane?” I yelled, my voice shaking. “Hello?”
No answer.
The tips of my toes stopped just before the dirt path.
I glanced to either side of it, remembering that there was nothing but darkness any direction I looked other than straight ahead.
I swallowed my spit and squeezed my eyes shut. Then, I stepped forward. The only thing that kept me from sprinting down the pathway was the fact that I kept grinding my fingernails into my palms. I hear Dane’s voice in my head.
Don’t run. It only provokes them.
Fear seemed to twist my insides with each unsteady step I took.
Soon, I was back at the power plant. I walked around the perimeter, looking down another narrow road. At the end was the holding cell for members of the community that didn’t want to follow the rules.
And it was dark.
“Dane!” I yell, rushing down the pathway. “Dane!”
I don’t hear a single sound.
I call his name once more.
The light post in front of me suddenly went dark after a small crash. I lean down and pick up a sharp rock which had just tumbled in front of me.
The monsters had finally learned.
My breaths were uneven. I stood sharply, spinning on my heels and walking with as much confidence as I could muster, although even with me trying my hardest, it wasn’t much.
I heard two other bulbs break behind me as I hurried as slowly as I could. I allowed myself to breathe harder once my fingers met the chain link fence. I spun around to face my enemy, even though I knew I’d never actually see it before I was eaten alive.
I snapped my eyes shut when another bulb was broken. I never took a hand off the fence until I had made it back to the first pathway.
That was when I heard the sound of shuffling feet behind me.
I turned slowly, my mouth turning dry, expecting to be the first human to see one come into the light. The only thing I did see, however, was a puff of dust rolling over the path.
Sweat beads on my brow.
And then I hear a rock being thrown at the power box. It makes the whole thing vibrate, and three other stones are thrown before the light on one end of the fence is destroyed.
I hear it climbing the fence, and then I hear an unnerving sound.
Once I realize what it’s doing, I fumble for my flare, which falls to the ground. I fall onto my knees in the dirt. My hands quake uncontrollably and I light my flare, holding it above my head.
I hear a zapping sound and the lights surrounding me go dark.
The only thing keeping me alive is my one little flare, which only has about a three minute lifespan.
I finally throw caution to the wind, running for my life to the street in town.
I hear the guttural growling not even two feet to my right. I can smell its breath; it smells like rotten flesh and rage. It almost feels like I can hear its thoughts.
It wants my blood.
My heart drops as soon as I hear a familiar sound coming from the beast.
It sounded like keys hitting a baton; it was unmistakable.
I finally reached the comfort of the lights in town. I bang on the nearest door, throwing the flare with the waning flame into the dust, begging for someone to open it.
I see a familiar face. It’s Ford, one of my peers. We didn't ever really talk, the only time we seemed to interact was when Dane and I ushered him inside each night, but he wasn't one to make conversation. He has his cell phone out and he steps out of the way. I push past him and slam the door shut. I lock the deadbolt, just as the lights out in the street go dark.
My fear had finally paralyzed me. I couldn’t move a single muscle, even when the lights in the house went out. The glass broke in front of me and Ford.
I wanted to scream, but couldn’t.
I wanted to fight, but couldn’t.
Everyone in town was going to die, and I was powerless.
The last thing I heard was one sentence, in an all too familiar voice.
“I trusted you, Ward.”


Let me know what you thought of this story in the comments below or in the comment section on Facebook. Thanks for reading!

Love, Ivy Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment