Thursday, June 30, 2016

"Dating" My Character

Last night I had a bizarre experience in my dream. I've discussed Lucid dreaming in a past post and I've kind of stopped focusing on that for a couple months so what happened last night surprised me even more. Nothing like this has ever happened, but I hope it happens more frequently in the future.

So I don't remember my dream starting but I remember toward the end I was at a pet store looking at fancy betta fish and a hand was put on my shoulder. I turned to see who it was and it was a character from my next romance novel. He looks just like Evan Peters from the third season of AHS. So Evan's face with shaggy, curly, blond hair.

We watched fish for a while and then saved a fish that had jumped out of the tank. I felt pretty awesome after that and he invited me to go to the movies with him so I did. But the thing is, in my dream I knew it was my characters, not Mr. Peters, (I just knew, okay? Even though they look identical.) and I was a little confused when we first began interacting.

Rhett is supposed to be deaf. I've done tons of research for sign language and interpreters and hearing aid possibilities, and I was feeling pretty prepared to write a deaf character. But in my dream my MMC could hear me. He looked at me and responded to me during our pet store visit and smiled when I said humorous things... neither of us were signing. He stayed silent but he could definitely hear me.

After the pet store, he nodded his head to the right and I knew he meant he wanted to take me to the theatre to watch a movie. It turns out it was a horror movie, (maybe my brain is holding tight to the fact that the actor I have envisioned to 'play' Rhett in my brain is strongly associated with the creepiest show on television) and I was nervous to go inside so he wrapped my arm around his arm. The thing was, I was well aware that I was myself and not my female main character (who is yet to be named.) and I was very aware that his intentions with putting my arm in his was purely friendly. I didn't feel any kind of romantic affection when he did this, but I felt comforted and safe.

We went into the movie and my mom was there as a chaperone, don't ask me why, but I sat a seat away from him and at the first jump scare, he reached out and grabbed my hand which was holding onto the seat next to me so hard all my knuckles were white. I released my grip once his hand touched mine and I could feel his caring gaze on the side of my face while my eyes stayed glued to the screen.

As the movie became more intense, my mom suggested that I scoot closer so I'm sitting right next to him (some good chaperoning lol) so I did and he pulled my arm under his and held tighter to my hand.

It wasn't long before we moved further from the screen and on our way up, two creepy guys who weren't real possessed clowns but they were pretending to be. They came up to me with the intention of scaring us but I growled loudly at them and they cowered away from me and we were going to go sit...

And then I woke up.

So now I'm being faced with what that could mean. Like I said earlier, I've never had a dream that included one of my characters. I have a dream that includes a celebrity normally about once a week, but my characters have never actually materialized in my subconsciousness. I'm assuming this means my brain is trying to sort out a flaw in Rhett's character creation before actual writing begins, but what could it mean?? Does this mean I've been writing the wrong disability attached to his character? Is he supposed to be mute, not deaf? Is he really supposed to be this sweet with my female main character during the last portion of the book???

Since I'm writing this piece for NaNoWriMo this year, I have until October 31st to actually go over this dream and figure out what I'll do with it. I'm taking this as a spiritual gift, and I don't want it to go to waste.

And honestly, I've had a lot of amazing and fantastical dreams in the past, but this is the most incredible thing to happen to me dream-wise that I can recall. And I remember most of my dreams. Who gets to say they were able to "date" the person they made up??

I certainly feel blessed for this experience.


Love, Mackenzie

P.S. Don't ask me why I decided to add this GIF to this particular post, it just feels like the right thing to do at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment